Franki Chan’s Check Yo Ponytail event series has been a long-running staple in LA’s overall music scene for a good amount of time now [I'd say one of the reasons why LA kicks so much ass. -ED], and has remained true to its original mission; to expose people to good artists they need to hear. While the CYP parties have featured a very broad taste of talent over the years, the next one coming up on May 3 is all about rising heavy-hitting producers in dance music, alongside a special headlining set from one of the finest in the game. Get tickets here.
Taking place on Thursday at the Echoplex, CYP brings us Tiga, Light Year, Damian Lazarus and a set from Franki Chan himself. I’ve attended a variety of these before, from live band concerts to rare DJ sets, and I can always count on it to be the best thing happening in town on whichever night they put one on. All of the artists mentioned on this lineup have been very productive as of late, whether it’s new releases, label work, or heavy touring, so definitely make it out to see what the buzz is about.
Australia’s Light Year just threw together an exclusive mix to coincide with the party, featuring the freakiest of techno and house. Resisting any body movement while listening to this is apparently impossible.
1. Junoir Boys “You'll Improve Me” (Caribou Remix)
2. Douglas Greed, Rosa Rough “Go Down On You”
3.Tomas Barford “Saturdaya”
4. Green Velvet & Harvard Bass “Kickin It”
5. Light Year “Reversion”
6. French Fries “Yo Vogue”
7. Nautiluss “Mixed Numbers”
8. Kill Frency “Booty Clap” (Acapella)
9. Christopher Just “I'm A Disco Dancer” (John Tejada Remix)
10. Intra:mental “Pyramid”
11. Nina Kraviz “Ghetto Kraviz”
12. Headman “It Rough” (Chicken Lips Remix)
13. Gesaffelstein “Control Movement”
14. Rekorder “Rekorder 7.2”
15. Azari & III “Reckless With Your Love” (Tiga Remix)
16. Light Year “Moderation”
17. Kolsch “Opr”
18. The Chemical Brothers “Electronic Battle Weapon 8”
19. Moodymann “Freeki Mutha F cker”