Hands down, Late Night Tales is one of the best compilations series around. For the latest installment, Tom Findlay takes a side step from the usual and puts together a special Music For Pleasure selection. Mr. Findlay has lovingly re-edited the 18 tracks chosen and put them together in a seamless voyage through some of the finest soulful pop music of the ‘70s and early ‘80s.
Tom Findlay says of the record, “It´s very much a ‘concept’ record, blue eyed soul, yacht rock. Vibe was very much tunes that I used to blast on the tour bus. I love that music in a very wrong way, it’s music to hug to!”
I’m so with him. As soon as it hit play on the Youtube clip below, life seemed to be a little bit better. Talk about nostalgic classics that sweep you back in time. I’m mean the sun isn’t really shinning outside (it’s still pretty early and all), but in my mind it feels like it is and I’ve got an overwhelming desire to maybe roller-skating down Venice Beach or something. I guess what I’m trying to say is that this mix has California written all over it. Summer might be a little ways off, but Music For Pleasure has definitely accelerated its arrival in my eyes.
The package comes complete with an in depth track by track comments and intro liner by the legendary Bill Brewster. The vinyl format has been cut as a "half speed" master, a high-end audiophile technique to get best audio quality from the vinyl, and pressed on 180 gram. It comes in special antistatic inner sleeves with cover art print and the CD mix inside.
1. Ambrosia “You’re The Only Woman”
2. Robert Palmer “Every Kind Of People”
3. Michael McDonald “I Keep Forgettin’”
4. Toto “Georgy Porgy”
5. Bobby Caldwell “What You Won’t Do For Love”
6. Player “Baby Come Back”
7. Steve Miller Band “Fly like An Eagle”
8. Ned Doheny “Get It Up For Love”
9. Average White Band “Work to Do”
10. Boz Scaggs “Lowdown”
11. Sugardaddy ft. Tim Hutton “How Long” (Exclusive Ace cover version)
12. ELO “Showdown”
13. Gerry Rafferty “Get It Right Next Time”
14. Doobie Brothers “It Keeps You Runnin’”
15. Hall & Oates “I'm Just A Kid” (Don't Make Me Feel Like A Man)
16. Bread “Guitar Man”
17. Todd Rundgren “Be Nice