Las Vegas was transformed into a metropolis of dance music last week leading up to Electric Daisy Carnival. Between edmbiz and the coining of "EDC Week" by Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman, the city was in full swing with events from Tuesday to Monday where you good find different variations of house music from the world's top electronic artists. EDC was supported by official EDC Week events at TAO, LAVO and Marquee nightclubs and day clubs with the likes of Kaskade, Nicky Romero and Armin Van Buuren, along with a series of darker events at Drai's featuring Loco Dice and Carl Cox. Wynn held it down as well with huge bookings including Afrojack, Steve Angello and Tiësto at their properties including XS, Encore Beach Club, Surrender and Tryst. It was fun for all, and we were there for some of the action! It even came to the point I was having a discussion with an Ibiza veteran who said..."you know what, Vegas is almost at the point of the same quality talent as Ibiza but with cleaner venues." We know that Vegas has been called the new Ibiza of the states, but it is starting to actually feel that way...minus the beaches and island atmosphere.
The Week In Wrap
• Richie Hawtin and the lineup at Drai's: was refreshing and not something the Vegas strip usually sees. He kept me dancing 'til the morning. Booking talent like Loco Dice and Carl Cox gave EDC Week goers a a nice alternative.
• Hardwell at LAVO: it was cool to see the 24-year old Dutchie take over a club and have a label party for Revealed Recordings with Dyro and Dannic.
• A sit down with Kaskade: speaks for itself. Feature coming soon!
• Calvin Harris at Surrender: Calvin really impressed me with his choice of music during his electric set at Surrender, definitely one of the most beautiful venues in Vegas boasting an outdoor area unlike any other. He's got a residency over there so check them out.
• Steve Angello at XS: Without doubt, the most impressive nightclub in Vegas in terms of sound, production and layout. Angello put together an impressive 6 hour set in which I caught a good 3-4hr of it. It was the closest thing to Ibiza sessions we'll see in the states. I encourage you to make it out to XS to see one of your favorite DJs soon, as it seemed to be commonplace for the studs to play into the morning this weekend, including sunrise sets from Afrojack and Skrillex as well. I also ended up in "XS <3 Size Matters" booty shorts at the end of the night so I guess it was a good one. And I need some track IDs, they are nowhere to be found after my hours of searching.
Here's some of what we missed provided by Marquee Nightclub & Dayclub:
• Alesso at Surrender: Better suited for a bigger gig like EDC where people know his music better, but hearing "City of Dreams" was great and all I wanted. It's like a lullaby.
• Marquee for Alex Gaudino: Gaudino is still going and you bet he played "Destination Calabria" when I walked in the club. Was out of there pretty soon.
• You can't do it all! Missing events you wanted to get to: Group Therapy w/ Above & Beyond and Mat Zo at Marquee Dayclub, not to mention Dirty South & Tommy Trash, and Avicii & Gareth Emery. We also wish we got to check out TAO Beach for Nicky Romero, and Spin Artist Agency Showcase w/ Arty and Rebecca & Fiona. There's always next time!
• Not much time to eat...or sleep. It's Vegas though! This is expected.
• Not coming home with any earnings from the casino.