EDM News: New York Times broke the news yesterday that the rumors about Sillerman buying Beatport were in fact true. The Yenta in us would love to know how much something like that really costs, but sadly Sillerman declined to say. But Times did report, albeit from someone “not authorized to speak about it” that the price was a little north of $50 million. Baller.
We’ve heard from more than a few people that Beatport isn’t actually the profitable company you’d expect given EDM’s popularity and their status within the dance music scene, so it’ll be interesting to see how Beatport develops from here. They’ve definitely been trying to make the site more of a destination for dance music lovers vs. something that strictly caters to working DJs.
“Beatport gives us direct contact with the D.J.’s and lets us see what’s popular and what’s not. Most important, it gives us a massive platform for everything related to E.D.M.” -Robert F. X. Sillerman
“We already are by far the largest online destination of qualified fans and talent in the market and we can continue to grow that.” Matthew Adell, Beatport Chief Executive
You can read the full article here.
You might also like:
- Experience: Area 51
- EDM News: New Fast and the Furious soundtrack features deadmau5, David Guetta, The Crystal Method and more...
- EDM Download: "Imagine Dragons" Radioactive (dBerrie Remix) — File Under Electro House
- Ticket Contest: Seven Lions at Control in Hollywood plus Flinch, Candyland and DJ Precept
- Listen: Butch Clancy featuring Amy K "Far Away From Me" via Dim Mak Records—File Under Dubstep
- Pete Tong Hearts "Stockholm Syndrome"—Watch Now
- What The Festival Announces Full Lineup
- Party: Circoloco Presents “Go Bang…A Celebration Of Arthur Russell” at TV Bar, Detroit—One Of The Most Compelling Electronic Music Producers Remembered
- Steve Angello Chats With MTV "I Think It's Really Important For Dance Music Today To Become Creative Again…"
- From The Horse's Mouth... Daft Punk and Pete Tong Chat "Random Access Memories"