BANNED: Beats By Dre Headphones Get A Red Card In The World Cup
After releasing a much hyped commercial showcasing how football players prepare for the World Cup, it looks like Beats By Dre headphones have been banned from the tournament.
FIFA, the organization that puts on the event, has an agreement in place with Sony Electronics, an official sponsor, that bars any other headphones from being worn at stadiums and media events.
Beats By Dre Headphones, which were just purchased by Apple last month for $3 billion, have become the of choice for many professional players worldwide. In the United States, the headphone brand is also frequently seen on professional basketball, baseball, and football (American) players.
World Cup players were given Sony headphones to wear to the games, but seeing someone actually wearing them is a rarity.
Marketing experts are telling the news service Reuters that Beats’ ban inside the games, and presence outside the games (seeing the players wear them by choice), may actually give the company a better perception.
“When fans see World Cup athletes wearing Beats in their downtime, by choice, it has as much impact as seeing them lace their Adidas (boots) or sip a sponsored beverage,” says strategist Ellen Petry Leanse, a former Apple and Google executive. “Maybe more, actually – Beats isn’t a sponsor, so the message is more authentic and credible.”
Beats also used ‘guerrilla marketing” tactics to get placement in the 2012 Olympics, sending high profile athletes free headphones, which made impressions throughout the games. The official electronics sponsor was Panasonic.
The five minute commercial called “The Game Before The Game” debuted on YouTube last week and features players like Neymar da Silva Santos Jr., Bacary Sagna, and Jozy Altidore.
Source Reuters Via Complex
You Also Might Like
- Gear Review: Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo
- Top Future Bass Songs 2014 - Week 39
- Bass Remix: T.I. & Iggy Azalea - No Mediocre (Grandtheft Remix)
- IK Multimedia Releases iRig Pads, New iOS Beat Maker
- Contest: Win A $250 Credit To We Make Dance Music Just by Signing Up On Mailing List
- Spotlight: Kitsch 2.0 & Ken Roll - Yo Mc (Original Mix) - Out Now Via Musical Noize
- The FreshLIST 013: New Electronic Music You’ve Never Heard [YouTube]
- Numark Triple Release: Headphones, Controller, Speakers
- The FreshLIST 012: New Electronic Music You’ve Never Heard [YouTube]
- First Listen: SBTRKT "Higher" (ft. Raury)