BANNED: Beats By Dre Headphones Get A Red Card In The World Cup
After releasing a much hyped commercial showcasing how football players prepare for the World Cup, it looks like Beats By Dre headphones have been banned from the tournament.
FIFA, the organization that puts on the event, has an agreement in place with Sony Electronics, an official sponsor, that bars any other headphones from being worn at stadiums and media events.
Beats By Dre Headphones, which were just purchased by Apple last month for $3 billion, have become the of choice for many professional players worldwide. In the United States, the headphone brand is also frequently seen on professional basketball, baseball, and football (American) players.
World Cup players were given Sony headphones to wear to the games, but seeing someone actually wearing them is a rarity.
Marketing experts are telling the news service Reuters that Beats’ ban inside the games, and presence outside the games (seeing the players wear them by choice), may actually give the company a better perception.
“When fans see World Cup athletes wearing Beats in their downtime, by choice, it has as much impact as seeing them lace their Adidas (boots) or sip a sponsored beverage,” says strategist Ellen Petry Leanse, a former Apple and Google executive. “Maybe more, actually – Beats isn’t a sponsor, so the message is more authentic and credible.”
Beats also used ‘guerrilla marketing” tactics to get placement in the 2012 Olympics, sending high profile athletes free headphones, which made impressions throughout the games. The official electronics sponsor was Panasonic.
The five minute commercial called “The Game Before The Game” debuted on YouTube last week and features players like Neymar da Silva Santos Jr., Bacary Sagna, and Jozy Altidore.
Source Reuters Via Complex
You Also Might Like
- Top Future Bass Tracks Chart - 1.26.15
- Pioneer HRM-7 Headphones Coming With 5-40k Response
- First Look: Z:ero, The Worlds 1st Digital Earbuds
- New Brenmar Track Singles Out 'EDM Festivals'
- Monster Sues Beats Over Bad Breakup
- Akon Releasing 'Euro' Tracks As Part Of Quintuple Album
- Sennheiser Launches Touch Panel Headphones And More At CES
- 2-Dimensional DJ Deck Will Make Your Head Spin
- Holiday Gift Guide: 7 Great Items For The DJ Or Budding Producer
- 2014 Razer Blade Pro Review: A Great Laptop PC For DJs And Producers