Image Credit: CNN
Multiple news sources are reporting that anywhere between thirty to eighty Avicii concert goers have been hospitalized in Boston due to drugs, alcohol, and dehydration. The event took place Wednesday evening.
Massachusetts General Hospital told CNN it received 13 patients between ages 16-19. All of the patients are being evaluated, Kory Zhal said.
Most patients had a problem with dehydration, drugs and alcohol, authorities told CNN affiliate WHDH.
Avicii, the Swedish artist behind the hit song "Wake Me Up," performed at the TD Garden as part of his True Tour.
Dozens of ambulances lined up outside the garden venue as crowds spilled into the streets after the concert. Other ambulances zoomed off, red lights blaring, as frazzled parents waited.
Many concertgoers reported hot, stuffy conditions inside the show, as well as drug use and underage drinking, according to the Boston Globe.
The concert started at 8 p.m. EMS responders started transporting patients to the hospital shortly after. By the time the show ended at 11 p.m., a staging area had been set up on a nearby street.
Local news station WHDH 7 Boston counted at least fifty ambulances leaving the venue, all transporting patients.
Last month, twenty nine people were hospitalized in May at an Avicii show in Toronto. Boston saw three overdoses last August at a Zedd show. A 19 year old woman died at the hospital after that event.
Two deaths at Made Event's Electric Zoo in New York prompted the cancellation of the third and final day of the festival. Attendees for this year's event need to watch an anti-drug public service announcement featuring well known EDM DJs before they can activate their wristbands. The also can expect a higher security and and safety measures.
This past weekend at Electric Daisy Carnival in Las Vegas, two men died after attending the three day long festival. Both causes of death are inconclusive and pending toxicology reports.