32 Dead, 180 Injured in Club Fire in Romania

In response, Markus Schulz pens letter stating he will never perform anywhere there is fire inside a club
Avatar:
Magnetic
Author:
Publish date:
Social count:
15
In response, Markus Schulz pens letter stating he will never perform anywhere there is fire inside a club
Goodbye to Gravity Colecive club fire.jpg

It has been confirmed that at least 32 people have died after a fire broke out in a club in downtown Bucharest, Romania. The Romanian President Klaus Iohannis has declared 3 days of mourning for those who lost their life and continue to battle through injuries after the tragedy. 

The club known as Colectiv was hosting about 400 people for a concert when at around 11pm a fire erupted. The band Goodbye to Gravity decided to set off some fireworks during their show and in doing so, set the ceiling on fire.

"I am saddened, but also revolted that a tragedy of this scale could have taken place in Bucharest," President said, BBC News reports. "We already have indications that the legal regulations had not been respected. I hope that the authorities manage their inquiry with speed and rigor."

Delia Țugui was at the concert with her family and described the incident in detail on her Facebook page. "The soloist made a quick joke: 'This wasn't part of the program.' The next second, he realized it wasn't a joke and asked for a fire extinguisher. In 30 seconds...the fire spread all over the ceiling. People rushed to the entrance but it was too narrow, and people panicked. Behind me people stampeded, climbing over each other, to try and get out."

People fleeing the concert were trampled by patrons who were panicked by the fire. Those in the hospital are suffering from intense burns, smoke inhalation and other injuries. Two member of the band are in critical condition with a total of about 180 patrons hospitalized. 

After hearing about the news, dance music producer and DJ Markus Schulz penned a letter to his fans stating that, due to the tragedy of this situation, he would never perform in a club where there are pyrotechnics. You can read his full letter below.

Dear friends,

Today I remain deeply affected by the tragic news from Romania last night, where 27 people died and over 200 remain injured because of a fire inside a nightclub.

When going out for an evening, the most important thing is to be in a safe environment. Sometimes the best experience about the scene we love is being able to share the memories with our friends the next morning.

Sadly, the event in Bucharest is only a small example of what has happened far too many times now, and I feel that we need to change, for the safety of all.

From now on, I will forbid the use of any flames, big or small, or pyrotechnics at any of my club shows. Yes, my job is to entertain, but the wellbeing of my fans exceeds any DJ set. The music; and the love for music outweigh any visual effect.

To my fellow DJs, artists, promoters, club owners and staff, and industry members, I encourage you to take the same stance. We must accept the responsibility and honor the safety of our followers.

Please keep those who are injured and have lost loved ones in your thoughts.

Let us unite and make a change for the better. 

With love,Markus

No word has yet been announced as to who is to be held responsible for the incident, but it seems like the club organizers as well as the band have some explaining to do as to why fireworks were allowed to be launched inside a venue. We'll keep you posted as more information surfaces.

[via USA Today]

colectiv bucharest