Pill Testing Debate Intensifies After Second Person Dies at Stereosonic

Stereosonic organizers made an effort to ensure a safer environment, but a second death raises more questions
Avatar:
Harrison Williams
Author:
Publish date:
Social count:
47
Stereosonic organizers made an effort to ensure a safer environment, but a second death raises more questions

Last weekend, a 25 year old woman died of a supposed drug overdose at the first leg of Stereosonic in Sydney. The festival just wrapped up it's second installment in Adelaide and there has been another tragedy reported.

19 year old Stefan Woodward died in the hospital on December 5th. It is being said that he was found to be in possession of orange pills with a stamped dollar sign and the police say they "may be related" to his death.

The debate for whether pill testing should be allowed at music festivals has picked up with Australian duo Peking Duk expressing their opinion on Facebook. They stated, "Fuck this. Heavier policing will not prevent deaths. Australia, it's time to start testing."

Matt Noffs, the CEO of Noffs Foundation responded in a similar fashion. He tweeted, "Another festival death. This is becoming ridiculous. We can start saving lives today. It's #timetotest" Noffs Foundation aims to help Australian youths battle substance abuse and addiction.

The event organizers, Totem OneLove, have released a statement warning patrons of dangerous chemicals they may be ingesting when taking drugs.

"We cannot express our concerns highly enough regarding the dangers of drug use. We have tragically lost two lives to drugs during our festival and whilst every effort has been made to protect you and keep you safe with our teams of professional medical and security staff, you as individuals need to make smart choices and understand the risks you are taking.

"As media reports have indicated there are various highly dangerous substances on the market and there is no way of knowing what is in them. Do not gamble with your life today."

After the Adelaide event festival organizers aimed to ensure a safer environment for their patrons, but ABC reports that 20 people were taken to the hospital for suffering from supposed drug overdoses at the Brisbane event.

[via Billboard]