Skip to main content

Alleged Electric Zoo Drug Dealer Gets Busted By DEA

  • Author:
  • Updated:

Alleged Electric Zoo Drug Dealer Gets Busted By DEA


Olivia Rotondo (L) And Jeffery Russ (R) died from drug overdoses at Electric Zoo last year.

Drug Enforcement Administration agents have announced that they have arrested 23 year old Patrick Morgan of Buffalo, New York, in connection to an MDMA overdose at Electric Zoo last year.

The DEA alleges that Morgan sold approximately 80 pills of 'molly' (the street name for MDMA, also known as ecstasy) for $1,100 to Jeffery Russ and two friends prior to the event. Russ died on day two of the event, after suffering a seizure and a body temperature of 108 degrees. The pills were believed to contain both MDMA and methylone (a more dangerous, MDMA like substance). He was 23 years old at the time.

Scroll to Continue

Recommended Articles

The same day of the festival, Olivia Rotondo, a 20 year old woman from Providence, Rhode Island also passed away, suffering from what was later determined to be acute MDMA toxicity and hypothermia.

The final day of this festival was cancelled by Electric Zoo's promoter MADE Event.

According to court documents, a friend of Morgan's who was working with the DEA sent the following text to the accused:

"Hey it was great to see you last week. Glad we got to talk about Jeff a little it was bugging me. Just know that I no longer blame u for giving the molly to him because it was him that made the mistake of taking too much."

Morgan replied ""Yeah man u too call me whenever you want."

Despite last year's shut down, Electric Zoo will return this year with increased police presence, as well as a heightened public awareness campaign surrounding drug use. Several EDM culture DJs, like Armin van Buuren and Steve Aoki are also participating in a public service announcement video that all attendees must watch before activating their wristbands.

Source: USA Today


Related Content