If sales were any indication of how well house music did for 2014, it had a fantastic year in part thanks to deep house & tech house being the first & second best selling genres respectively on Beatport! So coming up with the fifty best house tracks of 2014 was a bit like finding the best candy in a candy store. There were so many good tunes to choose from and there was quite the variety as well.
The old-school garage style of house music from yesteryear took somewhat of a back seat to the more futuristic and progressive sounds of Innervisions, Life and Death, & Kompakt. However, labels like Aus Music & other independent labels seemed to expertly mold the sounds of old & new together in a way that has yet to be done by any others.
Aside from the sounds of the new & the old, some acts like Maceo Plex, &ME, & Solomun were ones that simply set their own pathway into electronic music and refused to conform to any sound but their own. So with all pigeon-holing aside, these are arguably the 50 best songs that house music had to offer for 2014!
1. “From The Inside (Henrik Schwarz Remix)” Chasing Kurt, Defected
The German deep house trio known as Chasing Kurt released "From The Inside" in mid-2013 but in late February of this year, their fellow countryman Mr Henrik Schwarz put his magic touch on this soulful gem. He has the unique ability to infuse organic sounds & melodies with non-organic ones and in this instance he has created a sheer masterpiece out of Chasing Kurt’s “From The Inside.” The synth-work mixed with melancholy of the violin and flute is something of a rare treat one will ever hear in electronic music. Ten out of ten and the best of 2014 this is!
2. “It's Just (House of Dupree)” Leon Vynehall, 3024
Remember one of those nights after the club when you tried to remember the tune that DJ played which was probably the best you've heard all year long well it was probably Leon Vynehall's "It's Just" taken from his Music For The Uninvited EP. Resident Advisor already charted this as their 11th best track of the year but from a house music perspective, this tune is much more essential than that. This is my second best house tune of 2014 and certainly one of the best of the last ten years.
3. “Sordid Affair (Maceo Plex Remix)” Royksopp, Dog Triumph
Words cannot begin to describe what Maceo Plex has done musically for 2014. Not only was he the 8th best selling artist on Beatport, for lack of a better word he was the best selling non-EDM artist as well. In addition, he has triumphed creatively with his music reaching far and new corners of the dance-music spectrum. So with summer being long over and the year almost done as well, he still had a few gems left under his sleeve. One being this magical remix of Royksopp's "Sordid Affair" which is taken from their final bittersweet album The Inevitable End. This may be the end for Royksopp but for Maceo Plex, he is just beginning to scratch the surface of electronic music.
4. “Before The Sunrise (Dixon Remix)” Joy Wellboy, Bpitch Control
Resident Advisor's top DJ of the year, Dixon magically transform’s Joy Wellboy’s “Before The Sunrise” into a deep and progressive masterpiece that would be perfectly suited for that closing track at an epic sunrise set. On a side note, head over to Dixon's SoundCloud to hear his recently first-ever posted DJ set by himself.
5. “Epikur” David August, Innervisions
German producer David August makes his debut on the Innervisions imprint with the immaculately produced "Epikur" and it is the most critically-acclaimed Innervisions release of the year.
6. “Kerberos” Stephan Bodzin & Marc Romboy, Systematic Recordings
To celebrate Marc Romboy's Systematic Recordings’ 100th release, Stephan Bodzin & Marc Romboy came together for this nearly perfect composition of electronic music entitled "Kerberos."
7. “Dem Howl (Joris Voorn Mix)” Audion feat. Troels Abrahamsen, Kompakt
Late last year, Danish-singer Troels Abrahamsen laid down some absolutely stunning vocal work for Kolsch’s “All That Matters.” Fast-forward one year later and here he his providing equally amazing vocals for Matthew Dear’s latest Audion project “Dem Howl.” All remixes on the release were superb but it was Joris Voorn who brought his magnificent re-rerub to the forefront due to the cinematically epic bridge section of the song.
8. “Long Days, Hot Nights” Sirens Of Lesbos, Exploited
The piano breakdown of the year goes to "Long Days, Hot Nights" which absolutely screamed summer anthem and it turned out to be just that!
9. “Forget” Patrick Topping, Hot Creations
Patrick Topping followed up his massive Get Beasty EP with the Boxed Off EP and it featured the enormously successful "Forget." This fire hot track was released eight months ago back in April and it's still sitting pretty in the Top 100 on Beatport in part thanks to the retro hoover sound, the funny giggling samples, and the in your face bass-groove! This track is not going anywhere anytime soon and neither is Patrick Topping.
10. “Skepparkrans” Jonas Rathsman, French Express
The mighty Jonas Rathsman along with Perseus were first unveiled to the world audience in early 2013 on the Future Stars Essential Mix. Shortly thereafter, Jonas Rathsman released the modern classic “Bringing Me Down” which propelled him to a new world class level that in turn has thrust him into the global spotlight. Fast forward to July of this year & Pete Tong included him on his Friday night show as his “Future Star.” Here he his with this deep house beauty entitled “Skepparkrans.”
11. “Heads Above (Maceo Plex Remix)” WhoMadeWho, Ellum
An anthemic staple in Maceo Plex's terrace sets at Space Ibiza over the summer.
12. “Turn Around (Ame Remix)” Sailor & I, Life and Death
The geniuses that are Ame transform "Turn Around" into the ultimate hands in the air tune of the year!
13. “Learn To Fly (Maceo's Flight Home)” Odd Parents, Ellum
Yet another epic remix from Maceo Plex on his own imprint.
14. “Conjure Balearia” Maceo Plex, Ellum
Maceo Plex channels Vangelis on the first edition of his Conjure series from 2014.
15. “Bring The Sun” Frank & Tony feat. Gry, Scissor & Thread
The You Go Girl album by Frank & Tony featured this beautifully melancholic tune by the Danish songstress, Gry Bagoien.
16. “Space Invadaz” wAFF, Resonance Records
This dance-floor rocker was released way back at the very beginning of this year but it resonated throughout the year as DJs like Carl Cox spun it on a consistent basis.
17. “Trust (Motor City Drum Ensemble Deep Mix)” Romanthony, Glasgow Underground
The late Romanthony gets paid a tribute with a scorching remix of "Trust" by Motor City Drum Ensemble.
18. “Midnight Walking” Adriatique feat. Name One, Culprit
The Swiss duo Adriatique had a huge year in 2014 and their biggest tune was this one from back in January entitled "Midnight Walking."
19. “Duster” Midland, Aus Music
Midland hit it big in 2013 with the genre-defying "Trace" and now in 2014 he has taken it one step further with "Duster."
20. “Crossfade (Maceo Plex Mix)” GusGus, Kompakt
The fifth & final track by Maceo Plex in my top 50 of the year!
21. “After Dark” &ME, Keinemusik
This melodically dark tune by &ME is the second most charted track for Resident Advisor this year.
22. “So Special” Kyodai, Local Talk
One of the best garage tunes of this year for me goes to Kyodai for their feel-good b-side entitled "So Special" off of the ever-reliable Swedish imprint Local Talk!
23. “Piano Weapon (Instrumental)” Shadow Child & Doorly, Polydor
Shadow Child & Doorly came together on this one and created one of the top piano anthems of the year.
24. “Walking With Elephants” Ten Walls, BOSO
Mario Basanov aka Ten Walls broke through 2014 with this monster hit "Walking With Elephants." He has now been ostracized for being a rampant homophobe.
25. “Mountain Top” Kraak & Smaak, Spinnin' Deep
The seminal 1982 disco hit "Walking On Sunshine" by Rockers Revenge gets sampled very effectively here on Kraak & Smaak's "Mountain Top."
26. “Grace” Cleavage & Lars Vegas, Toolroom
Toolroom's most infamous music video of the year is also one of the top garage tunes of the year!
27. “Deep In My Soul” 16 Bit Lolitas, Anjunadeep
In 2014, the 16 Bit Lolitas moved away from their bigger sound and stepped into deeper territory here with the currently massive "Deep In My Soul."
28. “Raw Orange” Tanzlife, Let's Play House
This very different track by Tanzlife skipped the usual formulas for house music and paved his own way to create "Raw Orange."
29. “Holiday” Patrick Topping, Defected
Patrick Topping's feel-good tune, "Holiday" was certainly meant for just that as it was released just in time for WMC 2014 and it was played throughout the summer all over Ibiza.
30. “West Coast (Solomun Remix)” Lana Del Rey, 2DIY4
One of the dance music artists of the year, Solomun remixes one of the top pop music artists of the year, Lana Del Rey.
31. “Flute Dreams” Bwana, Aus Music
Aus Music out of the UK never disappoints and Bwana is no exception here with the excitingly different and melodic "Flute Dreams."
32. “Holding On For Life (Solomun Remix)” Broken Bells, Columbia (Sony)
If you were lucky enough to witness a Solomun DJ set this year then you'll know that he was likely to include this as the peak of his set.
33. “Wizard Of Love” Blond:ish Feat Shawni, Rebirth
Blond:ish hit new heights in 2014 with this modern masterpiece of theirs with up & coming vocalist Shawni.
34. “Voicemail” Green Velvet & Patrick Topping, Relief Records
This very recent release is a dream collaboration between the living legend Green Velvet and the rising star who is Patrick Topping!
35. “End Of My World” Daniel Jacques, Mistress
Bicep's phenomenal essential mix this year included this vinyl only cut called "End Of My World."
36. “Dissolute” Paride Saraceni, Snatch! Records
The fabulous Fabric 75 mixed by Maya Jane Coles featured this fabulous centerpiece called "Dissolute" by Paride Saraceni.
37. “Playa d'en Bossa” Larry Cadge, Smiley Fingers
The best use of a disco sample this year goes to Larry Cadge's Ibiza inspired "Playa d'en Bossa."
38. “One By One (Rodion Remix)” Alien Alien, Meant Records
Daniel Avery threw down this highly futuristic production into his essential mix.
39. “Afterhours” Lee Daley, Nordic Trax
The Nordic Trax imprint has been around a while and with productions like Lee Daley's "Afterhours" it's no surprise why.
40. “Housem 2.0” Damiano von Erckert, AVA.
Damiano von Erckert released the second edition of his 2012 jam, "Housem" called "Housem 2.0" on his playfully entitled "Giant Pandas & Other Nice Things In Life."
41. “Bad Kingdom (DJ Koze Remix)” Moderat, Monkeytown Records
DJ Koze has had another massive year thanks to his blazing hot remix of Moderat's "Bad Kingdom."
42. “Blue Shadow” Chaim, Rumors
The second ever release on Guy Gerber's Rumors imprint featured this masterclass of a tune called "Blue Shadow."
43. “Can't Do Without You (Tale Of Us & Mano Le Tough Remix)” Caribou, City Slang
Caribou seems to have had the best year of his career thanks to his highly praised full-length album and also in part thanks to Tale Of Us & Mano Le Tough putting their very eccentric and unique touch on his biggest hit "Can't Do Without You."
44. “Bullit” Watermat, Spinnin' Deep
Watermat's "Bullit" was arguably the biggest tune of the summer!
45. “Sweet Baby” Mickey, Exploited
Exploited's own master of melody, Mickey absolutely nails melodic nirvana with "Sweet Baby."
46. “Almost Home (Agoria Remix)” Moby feat. Damien Jurado, Little Idiot
Agoria can’t seem to do any wrong these days and his remix of Moby’s already amazing production of “Almost Home” is a match made in heaven. Close your eyes at 3:36 and prepare to float away.
47. “Prayer In C (Robin Schulz Remix)” Lilly Wood & The Prick AND Robin Schulz, Tonspiel
This is already a radio hit here in the U.S. but before that it was an Ibiza anthem over the summer.
48. “I Got U” Duke Dumont feat. Jax Jones, Blase Boys Club
Duke Dumont followed up 2013 with a massive hit that was equally if not bigger than “Need U 100%” from the prior year.
49. “The Path” Purple Disco Machine & Teenage Mutants, Suara
Easily one of the tunes of the summer and one of the biggest for everyone's favorite record label, Suara!
50. “Pushing On” Oliver $ & Jimi Jules, Defected
Rounding off the top 50 of 2014 for me was another huge tune of the Summer if not the year, "Pushing On" by Oliver $ & Jimi Jules off of the ever-reliable Defected imprint.