Check out Uamp, a small company that specializes in these little guys. If you’ve seen Men In Black (if you haven’t, please hit Control+W now and take a long walk) then you know what I mean when I mention the noisy cricket... well prepare to meet his distant cousin, Uamp!
This bugger can pump out some sound! With a 10-hour battery life and on-board EQ presets, it’s hard to resist. If you remember last month's coverage of the Z:ero earbuds, you know it'll be some time before they're in your hot little hands. If you don't feel like waiting for their release, Uamp is a functional near-future alternative.
The current market for earbud amplifiers is laughable at best. Besides pushing your “douche” meter to 11, they tend to be clunky, dysfunctional, and expensive. The Uamp is none of these things (okay, it’s not the cheapest either). While the $65 pricetag is a little disconcerting... I mean, just look at it!
Support from the project can easily be seen on its Kickstarter page where they've been deemed a "Staff Pick" and have raised way more than their initial goal. They also have a ton of more information there too if you'd like to dig a bit deeper. Not impressed yet? Check out the full list of features!
- Connects to smartphones, tablets, laptops, PCs, car stereos, speakers and anything with a 3.5mm headphone output
- Works with any headphones and earbuds
- Amplifies ordinary audio for hi-end sound
- Up to 2.5X the volume without sounding harsh or distorted
- Portable design that fits in your pocket
- 5 EQ presets including bass boost as well as custom EQ
- Enhances audio from music streaming services like Pandora, Spotify, YouTube and more Enriches audio of movies and games
- Rechargeable 10 hour battery
- Micro USB charging port Size: 1.69 x 1.69 x 0.36 inches or 43 x 43 x 9mm
- Feather-light, weighing only 0.9 ounces / 26 grams
- Beautiful aluminium design
- Maintains headphone remote buttons and microphone functionality
- Very low distortion < 0.01% THD (1KHz)
Damn! Now that’s something I can wrap my head around.