Just like headphones the wireless speaker market has become densely saturated, but Razer has proven once again that it can come into a crowded category and still impress. The Leviathan Mini is a beefy little beast that delivers some thumping bass for its diminutive stature.
The biggest struggle most wireless speakers have is producing solid bass in small packages. Razer has succeeded in bringing the bass, with some decent mids and highs to boot.
While the speaker is small, it's got a lot of weight to it, and the overall build quality is impressive. If you are taking these on a trip, make sure to pack them on your carry on as the weight might throw you over the edge on your checked baggage. Balancing the qualities of good sound, battery life and connectivity is tricky, and Razer delivers with high marks on all categories.
The Jambox Mini is very similar in sound output and quality if you are looking for a direct comparison. Where the Razer wins is in build quality and the ability to pair the speakers with their Combo Play technology. Two of these synced sounds superb and will fill up most hotel rooms or studio apartments with some quality sound.
The Leviathan has state of the art Bluetooth tech on board, but most people will probably not be able to tell the difference between standard and new aptX. If you listen closely using CD quality Mp3's you can tell the difference but again most will miss it, but they won't miss that bass.
Just be prepared for a more bass heavy sound as that's what these little guys were built for, tweak the eq on your music app to chill it out a bit if you are so inclined.
MSRP on the Razer Leviathan Mini is a little high for most at $180, but it's worth it with on account of the overall build quality. A cheaper speaker won't have Combo Play and will be a bit more delicate and probably won't last as long.
If you are listening to your music on the go constantly or need some decent sound for your travels or small abode, these are worth the coin.
Size / Specs
• Dimensions : 54 mm / 2.12 in. (L) x 185 mm / 3.34 in. (W) x 55 mm / 2.16 in. (H)
• Weight: 538 g / 1.18 lbs.
• Battery: 2600 mAH rechargeable lithium-Ion battery
• Bluetooth wireless range: 10 m / 30 ft.
• Combo Play wireless range: 4 m / 13 ft.
• Total power output: 24 W (12 W x 2)
• Frequency response rate: 50 Hz – 20,000 KHz
• Drivers: 2 x 45 mm / 1.77 in with Neodymium magnets
• Passive Radiators: 2 x 40 mm / 1.57 in x 70 mm / 2.75 in.
• Impedance: 4 Ω
• Omnidirectional microphone with Clear Voice Capture® technology
• Size: 4 mm / 0.15 in.
1. NFC to Bluetooth
3. Audio Cable (Aux) (cable included)
More info on the Razer Leviathan Mini