Beating Heart, a new project that aims to highlight African culture and support various communities, is set to launch this month with support from some of the best in the music industry.
Luke Vibert, Rudimental, Machinedrum, Throwing Shade, Phil Moffa, Clap! Clap! and Malawian musicians Drew Moyo and Sonye have all been tapped to remix the extensive library of Malawian recordings at the International Library of African Music (ILAM).
Founded in 1954 by Hugh Tracy, a leading 20th century ethnomusicologist, ILAM holds 35,000 recordings from various communities in Africa, compiled by Tracy over the course of about 60 years.
This marks the very first time the recordings have been made available to music producers and Beating Heart is planning to release 18 albums, with each LP representing a different country in Africa.
The first release will focus on Malawi, with all proceeds from album sales going directly to Garden to Mouth (G2M), an initiative that teaches people about nutrition and how to grow crops.
Beating Heart - Malawi will be released on June 3, 2016.
Listen to samples of the original recordings below.
01. Ibibio Sound Machine - Amai Ndiwulule
02. Luke Vibert - Africable
03. WxT - Bat Walk Mix
04. With You. - No Resistance
05. Drew Moyo (Malawi) - Munthu
06. Sonye (Malawi) - Sankha Dona
07. Jimi Needles - Tabiya
08. M.A.X. - Londawi
09. Kidnap Kid - First Light
10. Phil Moffa - Center of the World
11. Lack of Afro - I Met You Today
12. Afriquoi - Mwana Wa
13. Beating Heart - The Work (Rudimental remix)
14. Clap! Clap! - Kulira
15. My Nu Leng - Eyes
16. Ulterior Motive - Mulanje
17. Machinedrum - Lewasi
18. Lancelot - Tisanhke Lero
19. Tru Fonix - Bop
20. Applebottom & Peter Rabbit - Intergalafrica
21. Throwing Shade - Dream Scene