At 10:00pm on July 24 a Syrian asylum seeker killed himself and injured 12 people when he ignited a “deliberate explosion” just outside a music festival in Germany, which was taking place in Ansbach.
According to BBC News, a video was found on the man's phone which reveals him pleading allegiance to the Islamic State, also threatening a “revenge attack” on Germany.
The festival was being attended by 2,500 people, who were evacuated following the explosion.
Bavaria’s Interior Minister, Joachim Herrmann, spoke at a press conference this morning and gave more information on what happened. According to The Guardian, the 27-year-old Syrian man was refused entry to the festival because he did not have a ticket. After being turned away, he ignited the explosion. Hermann said that the man was in possession of a backpack that was filled with nails and screws which could have killed more people.
“People were definitely panicking, the rumour we were hearing immediately was that there had been a gas explosion,” said Thomas Debinski, a witness who was interviewed by Sky News. “But then people came past and said it was a rucksack that had exploded. Someone blew themselves up. After what just happened in Munich it’s very disturbing to think what can happen so close to you in such a small town.”
This recent attack follows a string of attacks that have taken place in Germany, one being a man with an axe on a train, who left 5 people injured, and on Friday night, an 18-year-old Iranian-German man killed 9 people in Munich.