A-Trak has been an esteemed turntablist and DJ since his teenage years winning the DMC championships at the early age of 15.
Since then, the talented artist has been carefully honing his production and DJ-ing skills to translate over to the ever-growing electronic market, and he's become a critically acclaimed veteran of the music industry in the last few years. With his now-legendary Fool's Gold Records cementing their names into hip hop and dance music history, A-Trak is taking some time to reminisce about some of his extensive backcatalogue, while still keeping one eye towards the future.
The 13-track compilation (out November 11 on Fool's Gold) will examine previous A-Trak hits and pairing them with personal anecdotes, leaving listeners with an inside look at the artist's mind.
About the release, A-Trak notes-
I learned how to produce by doing remixes. It was my testing ground. In 2006 I had been DJing for over 10 years and my brother Dave was a seasoned musician, but I was still a novice in the studio. Making a full original song can be daunting, so here I was able to hand-pick my favorite vocals, steal a few kickdrums and chop up some cool synths. My remixes also allowed me to get my music heard. I didn't have to finish a full project. They gave me an à la carte formula, landing on various labels.
The great thing about remixes is they create an ecosystem. It's almost like a shared economy. They forge bonds between artists: a remix request is the equivalent of giving your peer a pound and saying "you're dope, give me some of that sauce." They connect bands to DJs, producers among themselves, and all of them to new fans. For me this all started as electronic music blogs were spreading. We rarely went through managers. You would track down someone's email and hit them up, cold. We helped each other finish tracks. I often delivered mine very, very late. But even to this day as I work on more original music, my sound is the result of these experiments. Pre-orders for the release can be found here, and tracklist can be found below.
1. Architecture In Helsinki - Heart It Races (Trizzy's Rusty Tin Can Mix)
2. Scanners - Bombs (Trizzy's Boom Bam Slam Mix)
3. Digitalism - Idealistic (A-Trak Remix)
4. Boys Noize - Oh! (A-Trak Remix)
5. Sébastien Tellier - Kilometer (A-Trak Remix)
6. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Heads Will Roll (A-Trak Remix)
7. The Rapture - How Deep Is Your Love? (A-Trak Remix)*
8. Martin Solveig - The Night Out (A-Trak Remix)
9. Surkin - Never Let Go (A-Trak Remix)
10. Phoenix - Trying To Be Cool (A-Trak Remix)
11. Disclosure feat. Lorde - Magnets (A-Trak Remix)
12. Bingo Players - Cry (Just A Little) (A-Trak & Phantoms Remix)
13. Bob Moses - Tearing Me Up (A-Trak Remix)
*available only on digital packages