Let's just preface this article with a couple of things before getting started. First I'm not a member of either party, so I'm not taking any extreme side here, just pointing out some facts that I think are relevant to what's happening in the world today and how it affects our culture and the people in it.
Second, I'm a firm believer that electronic dance music culture is not so much about politics as it is about ideology. This ideology is simple; it is based on four pillars which are peaceful actions, respect for your fellow humans, unity in that vision and an overall compassion for your fellow wo/man.
I say "human" with the belief that we are all part of one race, the human race and that we are all fundamentally the same despite our physical differences.
Things are a bit surreal right now in a way that is shaking many Americans to their core. No matter if you are just off to the right, all the way to the left or right in the middle, there is one thing that we are all starting to have in common. Fear of the Trump administration.
Many dance music fans cast their ballot for this candidate in hopes of disruption, which is very understandable to some degree as our choices were pretty shitty overall. What is difficult to understand is the fact that his overall despicable nature didn't somehow give you some clues or concern you to some degree? You cast your vote for a pretty terrible person, and chances are if you met him you would despise him, yet you voted for him.
Some non-alternative facts we used to just call facts:
• Here is a grown man that tweets like a teenager, cannot take criticism and calls people out like a sad little bully, our president.
• There was a tape, yeah you know the "pussy" grabber tape that destroyed Billy Bush's career and somehow got overlooked by Trump voters, even the females. It literally came out of his mouth, no alternative facts here just straight old fashioned misogyny, but you know it's just locker room talk, right?
• Then there are his bankruptcies, lawsuits against his sham of a university and his multiple wives. All of which once again point to a man of very poor character.
• Let's not even start with the cabinet choices, he is draining the swamp and filling it up with oil. This administration is a group of sycophants and ill-equipped billionaires that are laughing all the way to the bank. You can defend them all you want, but just watch what unfolds and talk to me in a month or two.
• He has issued a travel ban without any due process or serious thought, he simply checks it off his to-do list and causes chaos intentionally.
• He has put Steve Bannon on the security council, just read up on him via credible news sources, and you will start to feel sick to your stomach.
I could go on and on with paragraphs of facts, but I think I've made my point here. The media has taken a bad hit because of so many terrible sources and shitty websites out there that are simply chasing ratings.
Find sources that are respectable like the New York Times, Washington Post, BBC, Wall Street Journal, etc. Even cross reference your facts if you have too, but whatever you do, do NOT be passive as this is something that concerns us all. Even Trump fans are slowly getting the hint that something is wrong, very wrong.
Electronic Music culture is all about acceptance; its roots are in rave culture, house music, and acid house, all places where people came together despite their differences to celebrate freedom and life.
This is not a culture that has any room for people that don't support those core ideals, as these are the very pillars dance music was built on. If you support Trump despite the knowledge of all these things, I certainly don't want to stand next to you or have anything to do with you. I don't think my fellow old school ravers, industry colleagues or the new generation of EDM fans do either, but I'll let them chime in with their own opinions.
Electronic music culture or any culture for that matter has no room for hate or intolerance, so please grab your terrible self and get the hell out of here.
PLEASE NOTE: This is not an attack on Republicans, this is an attack on the sinister ideals of this new alt-right movement, and it's impact on the USA and all of our friends and allies. Democrats also have some serious issues to contend with and need to do some house cleaning.
It's now a time to come together with common sense; we can get along and make the world a better place, but not under this administration. It's unfortunate that it has come to this to get America off its ass, but it seems to be working.