For some apparent reason, disco is coming back in a big way. Maybe it's the recent popularity of Mella Dee's "Techno Disco Tool" or even Midland's massive 2016 disco anthem "Final Credits." Or perhaps, a second 20 year nostalgia finding it's way back into our underground culture. Whatever the driving reason may be, almost everyone absolutely loves it and it's pretty clear why because it is indeed the concrete foundation of house music.
1. "PICK UP" - DJ KOZE [PAMPA]
DJ Koze's "Pick Up" may just be the 21st century answer to "Music Sounds Better With You."
2. "CONTROLLER" - CHANNEL TRES [GODMODE]
It took a label from New York and a radio DJ from the UK to get me turned on to this Compton based producer who's channeling Detroit with a subtle hint of '80s west coast electro.
3. "IN ARMS" - FERRECK DAWN & ROBOSONIC [DEFECTED]
Defected's biggest smash of 2018 so far just so happens to be this infectious collaboration between Ferreck Dawn and Robosonic. It's a thumping production that features a gorgeous vocal sample that will probably get stuck in your head and have you yearning for it's next play at a club near you.
4. "CRAZY DIAMOND" - NICK MUIR, JOHN DIGWEED, EAGLES & BUTTERFLIES [BEDROCK]
5. "DIVENIRE" - NICK MUIR, JOHN DIGWEED, EAGLES & BUTTERFLIES [BEDROCK]
It wouldn't be fair to leave the b-side off of the chart as this one goes off just as well minus the extended breakdown of "Crazy Diamond."
6. "ZE DANCE" - ALEX VIRGO [EDIBLE]
7. "REVOKE" - FRANKY RIZARDO [REJECTED]
8. "LOWER LEVEL" - FLASHMOB [HOT CREATIONS]
Flashmob's a-side of his recent Hot Creations release is currently sitting pretty on the #1 spot over at Beatport but the b-side of "Lower Level" is the one does it for me. It's less obvious and more a floor-grinder thanks to the deep and dubby elements which appeals to the house-head in me.
9. "MUYE (BLACK COFFEE REMIX)" - &ME, RAMPA, ADAM PORT [KEINEMUSIK]
10. "ODYSSEY" - RANCIDO [FREE DOWNLOAD]
I was first introduced to Rancido back in 2015 when he unleashed one of my favorite Innervisions releases of all time and here he is back in my house chart a little over three years later with a very special gift in the form of a free download he calls "Odyssey."
11. "YAM" - SATORI [DGTL]
12. "PUSHER" - THIERRY TOMAS [DESSOUS]
Russian producer, Thierry Tomas sampled an Ice-T interlude from '91 for this nice and easy groover that would go quite well with an early afternoon cocktail somewhere in the Mediterranean.
13. "YOU GOTTA KNOW (RON TRENT REMIX)" - CASSY X PETE MOSS [KWENCH RECORDS]
14. "DOPPT" - SUPER FLU [MONABERRY]
Super Flu's latest outing is their Ark E.P. which features this wicked tribal jam they've titled simply as "Doppt."
15. "BATTERY" - DJ SEINFELD [DEEP SEA FREQUENCY]
Sweden's DJ Seinfeld hatched a four track E.P. midway through the month and it included this deep diver that he calls "Battery." It's an entrancing tune which draws from a multitude of influences while maintaining a jacking rhythm that'll keep those asses glued to the dance-floor.
Stream the best house tracks of April 2018 uninterrupted via the playlist below: