Italian electronic artist Andrea Benini and lead composer and producer of cross-genre band Mop Mop is putting out a record later this month called Drumphillia Volume 1, which came about as a result of many years of listening and studying Caribbean and African drumming. Since he is someone who has spent a lot of studying and working with African rhythms, we decided to get the Benini to make us a mix of relentless and unstoppable tracks by all African artists. The music comes from all over the continent, so there is great diversity in the textures, rhythms and sounds in this mix.
“This mix of African artists includes a selection of traditional and modern music. I've always been attracted by rhythm in all his forms and by 'unconventional' instruments,” says Benini. "The mixtape you will listen to is created following those topics including music from Francis Bebey, Abdullah Ibrahim, Trilok Gurtu & the Frikyiwa Family and Sunny Adé, just to name a few.”
If you cannot see the link, stream the track here.
1. Trilok Gurtu & the Frikyiwa Family - Di Blues Indian
2. Néba Solo – Kenedougou Foly
3. Oumou Sangaré - Ah Ndiya
4. Suzan Hendricks & Sangoma Friends - Ngihawukele Thonga Lami (My Dream)
5. Sunny Adé & His African Beats - Ja Fun Mi (Instrumental)
6. Sunny Adé - Penkele (MM's tropical discoteq Special Mix)
7. Djigui - Ladilikan (Dub Mix)
8. Lipitone - Balafon Fola
9. Abdullah Ibrahim – African Marketplace
10. Adewale Ayuba - Fuji Shuffle
11. Francis Bebey - Africa Sanza
12. Ali Boulo Santo - Touba
13. Louis 2000 - La prière