2018 was another great year for vinyl with sales growing 14.6% from 2017. During the year 16.8 million vinyl copies were sold in the United States according to Nielsen via Billboard.
This is a record according to Nielsen’s tracking, which began in 1991, so it may not be since this wasn’t tracked when vinyls were the standard format. This is the 13th straight year vinyl sales have grown.
As for the top selling copies, it isn’t a rare Autechre record or a Four Tet album, but some mainstream LPs and the classics. The Guardian of the Galaxy 1 soundtrack (not even 2) sold 84,000 copies. This is followed by Michael Jackson's Thriller, Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, The Beatles Abbey Road, Purple Rain and Dark Side Of The Moon. The newest record is Panic at the Disco’s 2018 album Pray for the Wicked, which sold 59,000 copies.
TOP 10 SELLING VINYL ALBUMS OF 2018 IN U.S.
Rank, Artist, Title, Sales
1. Soundtrack, Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1 84,000
2. Michael Jackson, Thriller 84,000
3. Fleetwood Mac, Rumours 77,00
4. The Beatles, Abbey Road 76,000
5. Prince and The Revolution, Purple Rain (Soundtrack) 71,000
6. Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon 67,000
7. Bob Marley and The Wailers, Legend: The Best Of… 61,000
8. Queen, Greatest Hits 60,000
9. Amy Winehouse, Back to Black 59,000
10. Panic! at the Disco, Pray for the Wicked 59,000