In a sort of "what's next for techno" type of month, we carefully assess the landscape and plan the rest of 2021 with the utmost caution. The parties and the DJs may not resemble the pre-pandemic scene and it's likely the music will continue to evolve as well. One thing that will stay constant though and that is that the beloved genre of techno will continue to boast a largely underground ethos which we can all appreciate. Here are the 15 best tracks of May which I would like to think represent this underground spirit.
1. "AT NIGHT" - PARIDE SARACENI [POST SCRIPTUM MUSIC]
Forget what you might know. All the festival sized bangers in the world can't hold a candle to magical techno like this one by Paride Saraceni. The tune is titled "At Night" and it truly is an exquisite piece of techno that's designed to pull you in and never let you go.
2. "ALPHA & OMA" - EXTRAWELT [WATERGATE]
3. "REFLECTION (ANTHONY LINELL'S S.A.C. REMIX)" - WIGBERT [SECOND STATE]
4. "PORTAL DOLMEN" - HYBRASIL [REKIDS]
5. "SPIRIT BROTHERS (ANNA REMIX)" - LOUIE VEGA, JOSEPH CAPRIATI [REDIMENSION]
6. "ASTRO" - LAYTON GIORDANI [DRUMCODE]
7. "THE THREE SWORDS" - MARK BROOM [EPM MUSIC]
In celebration of their 20 years in the music business, EPM Music put out a varied four-tracker featuring four different artists with their own unique contribution including this thriller by Mark Broom titled, "The Three Swords."
8. "SHE DANCES ALONE" - REGAL [INVOLVE RECORDS]
Spanish producer, Regal just unloaded this lovely banger as an introduction to his upcoming L.P. due out in early July.
9. "THERE WAS A TIME" - JAMES RUSKIN [EPM MUSIC]
Also taken from the ePM Music comp is another one worthy of a showcase and that's James Ruskin's dark hypnotizer, "There Was A Time."
10. "CIRCLES" - RICKY CROSS [TAKE MORE MUSIC RECORDS]
Ricky Cross's Circle E.P. features this deep and dark banger that you should probably add to your collection.
11. "DESERVES IT" - TEMUDO [SOMA RECORDS]
This dizzying production by Portuguese producer, Temudo is next level when it comes to opening up different possibilities within a genre.
12. "EFFECTER" - SKOV BOWDEN [TRUNCATE]
Skov Bowden's WRECKED E.P. on Truncate is a fantastic showcase on panning within the realm of techno. Get a pair of headphones and try all three of the tunes on for size. Especially this infectious nugget simply titled, "Effecter."
13. "BANG WAP" - PLANETARY ASSAULT SYSTEMS [TOKEN]
14. "RUBBER" - DUBFIRE, FLUG [DCLTD]
15. "NINE" - PSYK [NON SERIES]
Prepare to be swallowed up by this techno wormhole titled "Nine" by Psyk.
Stream the best of May uninterrupted via the playlist below: